Table of Contents
In Web Positioning Systems, we want to tell you what the DA (domain authority) and PA (page authority) are in Web Positioning, these are terms that are talked about a lot today, and that is why we want to tell you about them. Both terms were coined by a very influential company in global positioning, it is MOZ, they are used to assess the authorship or potential of a website. Some see them as the closest substitutes for Google’s Page Rank (PR), which has been losing its relevance because it is not updated.
How to know what is the authority of my site
One of the most important factors for web positioning is related to the concepts described above. However, it is convenient to know that there are a series of free SEO tools that help to know the authority of a web page.
This indicator will allow you to know certain details related to Off-page SEO. It is a very interesting tool that allows you to know the profile of the links on a website. Among its main indicators are the Domain Rating (DR) and the URL Rating (UR).
This tool is used to measure the authority of a web page, and you have to download it in Google Chrome to install the Moz Toolbar. Later, it will indicate the domain and page authority. In addition, you will also be able to verify Do-follow and No-follow links.
This is another option to know the SEO authority of a domain. This indicator analyzes the number of links your website receives and their quality. Therefore, its results are very reliable. The Citation Flow (CF) indicator takes into account the number of incoming links, and Trust Flow (TF) measures the quality of these.
Domain Authority vs. Page Authority
As you have seen before, with metrics such as Page Authority (PA) or URL Rating (UR) you can measure the unique authority that each web page has within the site. This metric is independent of the website’s global Domain Authority (DA) or Domain Rating (DR).
However, many people do not take this individual metric per page sufficiently into account, and it is a mistake because if you significantly increase this metric, you will be able to fight for the top positions in Google against other web pages with a higher domain authority than yours.
Therefore, if you notice that one of your pages is in Google’s TOP 10 and you want to position it in the TOP 3, it is best to get links to that URL to increase this PA or UR and thus position yourself among the top positions in Google.
DA or Domain Authority of MOZ
The quintessential tool to measure the authority of a web page.
To do this, you will simply have to download its extension for Google Chrome and with it you will install the Moz Toolbar that will indicate:
Domain Authority (DA) of your website. That is the authority that has the domain on the internet.
Page Authority (PA) of the page you are visiting. That is the internal authority of that page individually.
In addition, with this tool, you will be able to see in two simple clicks which links are Do-follow and which are No-follow within the web page you are visiting.
DR or Domain Rating by Ahrefs
Again, another indicator that will give you an idea of how well you are doing at the Off-page SEO level.
This tool is especially interesting when it comes to seeing your link profile, so if you are looking for an indicator based mainly on links, there is no better indicator than the Ahrefs domain rating (DR).
As if this were not enough, the Ahrefs tool will place you in an internal ranking of the tool itself that will also help you to get an idea of how you are doing at the link level.
Among the main indicators offered by this tool are the following:
Domain Rating (DR), which shows the strength of your link profile. That is, this metric will tell you from 0 to 100 how your domain authority is.
URL Rating (UR) shows the strength of the individual page you are studying. It would be the replica of the MOZ PA metric.
AS or Authority Score by SEMrush
SEMrush offers a simple user interface to collect essential data on any site.
Just enter the URL and click the “Verify” option here:
It then displays all the essential data, including domain authority, backlinks, lost backlinks, your competitor’s link-building process, and more.
On the first page, you have details about metrics like:
- top anchors
- Authority Score
- Backlinks and their types
- monthly visits
- Referring domain categories
- Scroll down to find detailed reports on:
- Distribution of link profiles
- main pages
- Similar profiles
You can also analyze the list of keywords based on specific countries. It also shows the categories and authority of the referring domains. Click on the referring domains to find out the number of backlinks, root domains, and countries.
The report also reflects data on referring IP addresses, indexed pages, competitors, anchors, and referring domains. You will see a “view full report” option below all metrics to give you a deeper insight into all these numbers.
- All in all, SEMrush backlink analysis allows you to:
- Track the backlink of any domain in depth
- Perform deep link analysis
- Analyze your competitor’s marketing strategies
TIP: Don’t obsess over authority indicators
Many people tend to obsess over these types of metrics, in fact, it happened to me.
These indicators do not always have the absolute truth. There are other factors not measurable by these tools, such as On-page SEO, that will also influence the positioning of your website.
For this reason, not because you have a higher domain authority, you will be above other web pages in Google. There are many more factors to consider in the positioning process.
Therefore, these kinds of indicators are good when it comes to following an Off-page strategy, but they will never be a definitive indicator when it comes to auditing the SEO web positioning of a web page.
How to improve Domain Authority and Page Authority
- Keep an orderly structure on your site
- Use links on your page whenever you need to better guide the user
- It offers the user a map in which the well-ordered content is displayed (sitemap)
- To avoid placing excessive links within the same page, place a limit to guide you better, and try not to exceed it
- Implement an internal link strategy that is effective
- Improve page speed by removing unnecessary plugins, making images lighter, and removing useless widgets…
- Avoid link shorteners like Bit.ly
SEO On Page
- Use variations of your main keywords
- Keep your permalinks relevant and short
- Optimize your articles: useful, with as much information as possible, original, with images, placing the main keyword appropriately (I recommend placing it once every 100 words approximately), etc.
- Place a “Latest Articles” widget in the sidebar. Personally, I don’t usually use it because it seems unnecessary to me, and thus, the sidebar is less crowded, but there are those who recommend it because it increases the click rate.
- Search and find what works best for what you are going to talk about
- Write something totally unique. If not, why read your site if it is in five more?
- Detail everything you can since those details can be of great help to the reader and will add value to your article.
- We’ll structure the content you are going to talk about with headings, bold, and italics…
- Share the content on social networks
- Send it to all your subscribers
- Promote your content on social networks daily
- Find pages related to yours and ask if they can link to your content
- It will help you advertise your brand, gain a loyal following, and above all, increase DA.
- Create the profile of your page, especially on the most popular social networks (Facebook, Twitter, and Google+)
- Promote your presence on social networks within your website
- Link your articles to social networks
- Get more users on social media by posting interesting content
- Use offline promotion that is, outside the Internet
- Advertise your brand on social media
- Attend an event related to your page to get more public
- Answer the questions and comments of your users
- If you don’t have it, create your brand’s official blog with interesting news.
- Send t-shirts with advertising to your most active users
- Get references in newspapers or magazines
- Use badges or symbols related to your brand throughout the website
- Maintaining a good relationship with the admin of the website is very important as it will provide you with more loyal followers, which will indirectly improve the DA and PA of your page.
- Interact with sites related to yours
- Share content from related pages, even if they are your competition
- Praise the good work they do on their pages
- From time to time, ask them if they can read and share an interesting article you have written (as you have been sharing and commenting on their content before, they will usually accept)
- Help other admins whenever you can
- Help your active users for nothing so that they decide to come back
As you have seen throughout the post, domain authority is a fundamental factor in an SEO strategy. A higher level of authority, greater relevance on the intern, et and therefore better web positioning. For this reason, it will be essential that you improve this SEO metric with links.
In any case, and despite the importance of this factor, you should not forget that by improving said authority, you will only be improving 50% of the SEO of your website.
Remember that SEO is based on On-page SEO and Off-page SEO factors.
Therefore, no matter how much domain authority you have, many external links, ks, and a lot of relevance on the internet, if your website is not 100% optimized in terms of on-page SEO, you will never reach the top positions in Google.
As you already know, SEO is the result of a global strategy, not everything is as simple as getting links and increasing your internet authority. You must work on many more aspects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Direct Traffic is one of the Important ones. According to the SEMrush Report of 3 Ranking Factors, the best one is still Direct Traffic. It indicates to Google that the domain has high Authority when people visit the domain directly.
Google Often stated multiple times that Response Mobile Friendly Website Design gives Website Traffic a Boost. So somehow, we can consider this a Ranking Factor.
Some people think it is, but it’s NOT. According to CUTTS: “The difference between a domain that’s six months old versus one-year-old is really not that big at all”. There are other factors that help Old Domain give ranking benefits.